Monday, February 24, 2014

Good work don't come cheap

"Good work don't come cheap", or "You can have cheap, fast, or good...pick two", are among a couple of the sayings that you can find as your journey as a business owner progresses.  If you run a business that is in anyway part of the creative field, you will at some point and time, be asked to do work for free. Now, I am not here to say free work is bad, or collaborating for projects where everyone puts in an equal amount of work for a set outcome is bad.  But there will be people who expect your skill and your time to be given to them freely because you are new, or you are looking for exposure.

Now, I am not going to be one of those photographers who sits and tells you that you are de-valuing the industry by working for free, because I firmly believe that there are clients and photographers for every market out there. From free to six figures. My concern is building my business to where I am successful.  Besides, I haven't been in this long enough to earn those "old head" stripes, and even if I did, I still wouldn't change my view point.

So what's the point of me telling you all of this?  If you do request work, good work, work that people get paid for, for free, do not be surprised when people tell you no. And definitely do not respond like this guy did:

http://www.tickld.com/x/i-wish-i-worked-with-this-manhes-hilarious
Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment