Friday, January 10, 2014

Postpartum bodies and loving yourself {Delaware Lifestyle Portrait and Family Photographer}

Besides my resolution to blog more in January, another one of my resolutions is to love myself and my body more, and to help women love their bodies also. A lot of women, especially mothers start to dislike their bodies after having a baby. The phrase "having  baby ruined my body" runs rampant most of the time.  But the one thing we must realize is that while having  baby has definitely not ruined our body, it has changed our body.  It grew life inside of it, and birthed an amazing child.

I wanted to share a bit from an article that a friend posted that moved me to tears.  You can find the full article here: http://blackheartsandbliss.com/post/72866172943/on-the-postpartum-body

"When I got pregnant for the first time I was 18, fresh out of cheerleading, doing Yoga daily and in the best shape of my life. Though I gained a mere 15 pounds during my pregnancy, my body stretched and pulled in ways it has never truly recovered from and I struggled a lot with the way it looked and felt after Samara was born.
It was partially my circumstances too, my ex husband regarded me with words of criticism despite walking out of the hospital in the same size 0 jeans I’d walked in wearing. I heard my mother complain my entire life about her body and the ways carrying four full term girls had changed it. In fact - I’d never heard a single positive thing about postpartum bodies that I could readily recall.
My self esteem dipped into the negatives, I was bitter in every sense. I had this beautiful daughter and now my body was fucked up. The trade off was a worthy one, but that didn’t make it suck any less."

Mother or not, love your body. It's the only one that way have.



Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment