Thursday, January 9, 2014

Take time and make time {Delaware Lifestyle Portrait & Fashion Photographer}

Hello, my name is Marisa.

I am a wife, mother, business owner, Doctor Who fanatic, craft addict, SCA-dian, belly dancer, and the list goes on.  I have a pretty full life, and with my husband and daughter by my side, it is quite exciting. I wouldn't trade it for the world.

But I have a problem.

My problem is that I have horrible time management.  You see, sometimes, well quite often actually I spend too much time working and not enough time living. Part of the reason for having my own business is so that I can work on my own terms, and have time to spend with my friends and family.  But also as a business owner, I am not just taking pictures. I am editing, doing the accounting, doing the networking, and marketing, designing albums and promo materils, and more.  Sometimes I sit down at the computer with the goal of only working two hours, and then spending time with my family, and before I know it 6 hours have gone by.  I will tell myself "Okay, let me just email these clients, prep these images, and update a couple of things, and I will spend the rest of my time today with Charlotte and Wes".  Then before I know it, Charlotte is getting ready for bed, and Wes is settling down.

Our FIRST professional family photo session with Natasha Esguerra Photography

Admittedly, work is not the only problem.  Managing a household, cleaning, grocery shopping, managing the bills, and other things tend to take time away.  I know that I need to learn better time management. And I know that there are many in my position: Spouses, business owners, etc that need to hear this:

Take time and make time.

Seriously, it's important!  Emails can wait an extra hour or two.  Editing can wait also. Grocery shopping can be put off, as well as cleaning. Unless you are entertaining the Queen of England, I don't think that anybody really cares what your house looks like. Do you know what can't wait?

Your child, your family, your loved ones, your friends.

So I vow to myself and to everybody that I care about, I will take time and make time to spend with them.  Even if I have to set aside a certain about of absolute hours to be with my family, I will. But I do realize that they are more important.  Nothing I accomplish is more important than them.  I know how easy it is to get into the zone, especially when you are trying to make your business work, but take it from me. Sending out those emails on time will never replace those minutes lost laughing with your little one.


Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment