Wednesday, April 13, 2011

{The smell of soap}

I am a person who loves smells.  Smells are so intense and bring back so many memories.  Now that I am pregnant, and have the super nose, some smells are amazing, others...not so amazing. But there are still smells that bring back great memories. One of them is soap. Yes, it may sound weird, but I love the smell of soap. My favorite soap is Dial Gold. I love it because it reminds me of my grandmother. Much of my youth was spent with my grandparents. They lived a few minutes away, but I stayed with them almost every weekend, and pretty much every summer. Whenever they went south for vacation, I was there right along with them.   My grandma, almost always used Dial Gold. It may be a weird thing to remember, but even to this day, the smell of that makes me think of the Saturday mornings when I would wake up to the smell of her cooking pancakes, then jump in the shower, then run down stairs to eat. Usually the meal was grits, eggs, and bacon, and I must say...I love bacon.

That was almost twenty years ago...wow.

I now have a new favorite smell, not to say that I have forgotten the smell of Dial Gold, but this smell is a new chapter of my life. It may be even weirder than the Dial Gold, but I love it none the less. It is the smell of Old Spice. Not the Old Spice that your grandfather used, the one that came in that white glass like bottle, with the metal cap, nope! I'm talking about the new brand.  I love it because my husband wears it. And when I smell it, I am reminded of all the nights i've spent in his arms, laughing, watching documentaries, and that smell is his smell.  I can literally smell him like a mile away!  It may seem extremely odd, but it's one of those love things!

I also love the smell of babies! They smell so sweet! And clean and fresh.  When my baby is born (4.5 months to go!), I am sure I am going to love her smell also.

As I said, smell can create and bring a lot of wonderful memories.  I may be getting a bit sappy, but you can't blame me, I am a pregnant woman! I love the smell of laundry fresh out of the dryer, the smell of all the food cooking on Thanksgiving, and the smell of my dog when she would come back from the groomers (I even asked what sort of shampoo they used because she smelled so good!).  What are your favorite smells, and what memories are associated with them?
Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment