Thursday, October 4, 2012

A story about my Grandmother

Earlier today I was going through photos, and I came across a picture of my grandmother that I had taken a few weeks ago when we went to go visit her.  I posted the image on my Facebook page, and I wanted to share with you a story.

My grandmother has always been my world. I am definitely thankful that she has always been around, and is here for Charlotte too. I just couldn't imagine life without my grandma.  When I was younger, I was always at my grandparents house, especially during the summer.  And they would bring me along when we went down south for vacations and to visit family. Now although I don't remember much of it because I was so young, my grandparents always like to point out how I was friendly to everyone who gave me food and how I always asked for bacon.  Which honestly, would explain my love for bacon now.

When I was younger, I was always fascinated with my grandmothers skin, wrinkles and all. I found myself staring at her features; her face, her large flat ears, even her short cropped hair.  Her skin has always been so soft, yet so strong.  In my mind she always reminded me of the leader of an elephant. Laugh now, but you will see what I mean.

It wasn't until years later when I was explaining this to my husband, the man with the answers to everything, that it all came together. He explained to me, through many years of watching animal documentaries, that elephants are a matriarchal society.  The herd is led by one older female elephant, and that there are offspring, and her offsprings off spring in the herd.  Elephants by nature are a very strong, familial unit.  The main elephant is the one that the herd turns to in times of crisis, the one that they follow when they trek for miles and miles in search of water, and the one that teaches her daughters how to raise their daughters.

Essentially, he described my grandmother perfectly.


Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment