Friday, May 6, 2011

{When you knew you were in Love...}

I always try to get to know everything I can about my clients before their wedding day.  This not only forges a great relationship between them and myself, but it lets me photograph their day on a deeper level since I know their story.  I admit it, I am a romance junkie.  Now I don't take it as far as reading romance novels and watching nothing but romantic comedy's.  I love real love.  That real, unrequited, heart stopping feeling that you get when the person you love walks into the room.  That flutter in your stomach when they touch your hand.  The twinkle in your eye and the smile on your face when they do something as simple as putting their arm around you.  That is the kind of love I love being around.

So it is always important for me to know how my clients first fell in love.  Every story is unique and amazing.  I've done weddings for couples who fell in love in the early days of high school, and couples who fell in love even though at first they thought they weren't compatible as a couple.  It truly is amazing how the power of love can make things change.

When I first met my husband, I of course didn't think this was the man I was going to marry and spend the rest of my life with.  In fact, when I first met him, the very first day, I thought he was...for lack of a better term...weird.  He actually said something to me that was a bit off putting considering this was the first time I ever saw him in my life, and I basically flipped out. Not once did I think that "Hey, this is the man for me!".  But as time went on, and the more time I spent with him, the more I enjoyed his company.  Now don't get me wrong, he was still weird (and that weirdness has never gone away, but it is one of the reasons why I do love him), but he sort of grew on me.  In a short time, I came to find myself looking forwards to the days that I would see him.  The only times I did see him though was at work, since that is where we met.  He made my days at work not only bearable but enjoyable.

Then, I went out of state to college.  The first semester I had so much going on that we didn't really keep in touch.  But he never left my mind.  When I came back home for spring break, I found myself at my old job which he was still working at, standing behind a display and giggling like a school girl.  For some reason, I couldn't bring myself to go over and talk to him.  He finally saw me, came up to me and we talked a bit.  I left, of course not knowing that I was falling in love.  I mean really, who expects to know the exact time they fall in love?

I went back to college, but during this semester we talked every day and every night.  Before I went to class we would chat really quickly on the computer.  At night, when he came home from work, he would call me and we would talk into the wee hours of the morning.  Good thing I didn't have early classes!  All the while, I kept telling myself that he was an awesome friend, but there was no way I was falling in love.

When I came back and transferred to a college closer to home, that is when things picked up.  We never really had a first date, because we never really asked one or the other out.  We went out to eat, to karaoke, to the park and such and just had fun.  I realized I was in love with him when one night he was driving me back home, and I realized that I did not want to leave him.  At that moment there was nothing more that I wanted in the world than to spend every waking moment with him.  Sounds like a sappy romance novel I know, but it was true!  I was so taken aback that I didn't tell him. Not because I didn't want him to know, but because of fear of the unknown.  How was I to know if he felt the same way?  And that is when I knew that I was in love with him.  The type of love that consumes your entire being.  Where every minute away from him was torture, and I would count down them days, the minutes to when I was able to see him again.

Thankfully, I didn't have to tell him.  The great thing about my husband is that he is pretty awesome at picking up on peoples feelings.  So one night on the phone we were talking, and he said:

"I think it's cute that you want to say things to me but you hold them in"


Of course I had no idea what he was talking about. So I went about asking him what point he was trying to make.  And just like in a movie, where you know that the characters' entire story line is going to change forever he said:

"The way you want to tell me you love me, but are too afraid to say it"


Now, at this point I proceeded to put the phone on mute, place it on my bed, and jump around and scream like a mad woman.  I was relieved that he knew, and I was thankful that I didn't have to come out and say it.  Of course he told me that he loved me also, and the rest was history.  We have been together now for almost 7 years and married for 2.  The past 7 years have been the most amazing years of my life, and even though we had a rough start where I wanted to punch him repeatedly, I am thankful that I didn't!  For I wouldn't have known him to be such the amazing and wonderful man and husband he is to me today.
Pin It

1 comment:

  1. I love the layout of your blog. Obviously you have a very valid point, however I can't get over how great the site design is.

    ReplyDelete