Sunday, January 5, 2014

A word to photographers, both new and old. {Delaware Lifestyle Portrait & Fashion Photographer}

2013 is out the door, and here we are on the fifth day of 2014.  A whole new year to do new and amazing things.  This past year, the photography community has been in somewhat of a buzz. There have been plagiarism issues, company issues between big name photographers and companies, sponsors, rock star photography drama, and the list goes on and on. And of course there is the never ending battle of new photographers coming in,that's making lots of veteran photographers angry.

When I first started, I was told that I wouldn't be able to do this.  And I will admit, while hard, I am still here. Most new business give up within three years.  This will be my 5th year in business, and I am so happy. There have been a lot of things that I have learned from others and within myself. Some mistakes that I made in my business, but I came out stronger than ever. So with that said, here is a word to photographers, both new and old:

Make 2014 about YOU. Don't compare yourself to other photographers. Don't wonder why they got to where they are, worry about why you are not where you want to be. And then change that. We hold our cares in our hands, and no one but ourselves can hold us back.

It's ok to look up to other photographers, and gain inspiration, but remember, you are not them, they are not you. No two photographers are the same. We are each unique artists with a different flair to add to our work.

Besides technical aspects of your work, do not let anyone define your style.  Every photography should know how to take a technically sound image, but how you present that image, your artistic image is completely up to you. Do not let anyone define who you are.  Your path to success is completely different from someone else's.  You can both do the same things, use the same equipment, but your work will look completely different.

It's important to be yourself and shine.  Don't let anyone take your light from you.

marisa taylor photography, marisa seasan, delaware portrait photographer



Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment