Monday, January 28, 2013

Value.

I am the first one to tell you, I am a coupon queen. I love searching for things I want and finding a great deal. But when it comes to things that I value, I have no problem with paying full price for them.

For example, I love renaissance, I love victorian clothing, I just generally love historical clothing in any sense. And when you attend the events that I do, dressing the part is definitely a fun thing to do. The thing with dressing in clothing from a different time period, is that almost everything you will buy is hand made.  And it takes time, and a lot of skill to make these items.  I appreciate the time and skill that goes into making these items. Which is why I have no problem spending $400 on a two layer, custom wool cloak that I only wear a few times a year.  In fact, my historical garb costs a whole lot more than my regular clothing.  But these are things that I value.  I understand that it takes a lot of time to pick out the right fabrics, a lot of skill to sew these items and sell them. I understand that these people who make and sell these items need to make a living, and I definitely appreciate what they do.  So for things that I value, I will find a way to be able to pay for them. Whether that means skipping my Starbucks, or thrift shopping, or cutting back on eating out, I will get the things that I love.

I totally get that not everyone looks at the value of photography like I do. I get it.  Everyone values things different, and that is totally ok.  All I ask is that when you are searching for something unique, personal, something that takes time and skill from one or two people, understand that they are pricing their items, their business to make a living.
Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment