Thursday, January 24, 2013

DIY Today: Quick and Easy Lounge Shirt

Ok! So many of you know that I love to sew, and craft, and re-purpose things!  And one of my goals this year is to make my blog more diverse. I want to feature stuff that appeals to you!  So when I asked on Facebook what would readers like to see, mostly DIY clothes, DIY home decor, and recipes came up!  And since I am a mom, and many of my clients/readers are parents, it's something that we can all relate on.

And with that said, I want to introduce to you, DIY TODAY!!!  I will be posting tutorials of things that I make, as well as some awesome finds from around the web.  And it won't be a set day, because depending on sessions, and taking care of Charlotte, some days I am running around like a chicken with my head cut off.

So today's project for DIY TODAY, is a super quick and super easy lounge shirt. It took me about 10 minutes to make, and the best part is that it only has 2 seams. If you know how to sew in a straight line, then this is perfect for you!  I made this shirt using inspiration from kimono tops that I love, and loose drapey type shirts (hides the belly).  This project is best done with a fabric that drapes well (like jersey knit, knits, and even silks).

Follow along!

1-Gather your fabric, and supplies. Again, the best type of fabric for this is one with a good drape, I used a heaver knit, like a sweatshirt fabric that I had laying around the house. I also had elastic (in case you wanted to scrunch up the sides), and scissors)



2- Measure your fabric from elbow to elbow, and add about two inches. You don't need an exact, perfect measurement, it's meant to be a little loose. Take your fabric and fold it vertically. So that the folded edge is along the top, and the two sides and bottom are open.



3- Take your fabric, and fold it again from left to right.  Then you can cut your neckhole easily out of the middle. I made a v-neck, but you can definitely make a crew neck, or even a square neckline if you wish.




4- Unfold and mark where you want your armhole to stop. (don't be like me and measure too small for your arms).  Turn fabric inside out (remember, most times when you are sewing, it's right sides together), and sew up both sides to where you marked your arm hole at. As you can see with the awesome black lines that I put in with photoshop!




5- Flip it back to right side out, and put it on, and look fabulous!


Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment