Tuesday, April 24, 2012

A Journey to the Futures Past

Guess what happens between May 18, 2010 and May 20, 2012?



The STEAMPUNK WORLD'S FAIR!!!


It's one of my favorite events to go to, and Wes and I have been going since the very first SPWF in 2010.  It has been amazing to watch this event grow to what it is now, and I love bringing new people into the world of Steampunk. Before I go running off on a tangent of how awesome this event is, let me first start by explaining what Steampunk is.

There is no set definition of Steampunk.  It's sort of a lot of things pushed into one.  Think victorian times meet the future.  It's what Victorians would have imagined the future, our current time to be.  Think of movies like Wild Wild West (with Will Smith) and Sherlock Holmes (with Robert Downey Jr.).  Imagine airships, and privateers, and brown and leather and cogs, and gears and craftmanship, and mustaches. Oh, the epic facial hair!  If I am sounding way off, then check out "New to Steampunk" here, and it gives you a better idea.

So, why do I go? Well because it is filled with AWESOME! Awesome costumes, awesome music, awesome people, awesome events.  And I love it all.  There are musical performances, such as Emperor Nortons Stationary Marching Band, there is an Epic Facial Hair Competition, as well as Queen of Steam, and other great events. Oh, did I mention that Voltaire will be there also?!

Here are some pictures of the past two years that I took while there. I was having way too much fun to get into full photographer mode, but these will give you an idea of what goes down!



















Last year, while I was pregnant, I was interviewed at the SPWF my Mo Rocca! This video gives you more than what my pictures can! I make an appearance at 6 minutes 21 seconds.




And who doesn't love steampunk babies!!!  Here is my daughter Charlotte aka Steampunk Baby of the Year





So again, you NEED to go. It is an experience that you won't forget. You get to see all sorts of fashion, listen to all sorts of great music, and have an AMAZING TIME!
Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment