Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Stoves and Cameras, What do they have in common?

A couple of days ago I found a quote and I posted it on my facebook page.  As I was looking over my page today, I came across the quote and felt that I should share and elaborate on how I feel about it.  Don't worry, I am not going to get all philosophical on you!
"A photographer went to a socialite party in New York. As he entered the front door, the host said ‘I love your pictures - they’re wonderful; you must have a fantastic camera.’ He said nothing until dinner was finished, then: ‘That was a wonderful dinner; you must have a terrific stove." - Sam Haskins

In simple terms, being a great photographer does not boil down to the equipment you have.  Sure, having the latest gear is great, and you always need gear that is capable of doing it's job.  But it doesn't matter if you have the most expensive camera on the block, the camera itself is not what makes the picture great.  Just like the dinner and stove analogy above, so much more goes into it.  You have the cook, who knows which ingredients to use to make the dish perfect.  The cook also knows how long to cook the items to make sure they are not under or overcooked.  The cook also knows how to present the dish so it looks more appetizing to you.  The same thing goes with photography.  The photographer knows how to use lighting to create the most dramatic effect.  We know how to pose our clients to bring out their best.  We know how to use what we have available to create amazing pictures.  Our cameras, just like the stove for a cook, is an extension of who we are and the talent that we possess.
Pin It

3 comments:

  1. Appreciate it for all your efforts that you have put in this. very interesting info . "An exile's life is no life." by Leonidas of Tarentum.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really like your writing style, wonderful information, thankyou for putting up : D.

    ReplyDelete
  3. He's an ole kat.... so what..... Harry is still got SWAG!diablo3 gold

    ReplyDelete